Saturday 2 April 2011

Chicken Liver Pate

I'm not allowed to eat pate right now because I'm pregnant but this is one of the first things I'm going to make after giving birth in 5 and a half weeks.  I've craved pate all the way through my pregnancy, just because I can't have it!  The day I give birth I'm sending Steve to the Deli in Waltham to get me some pate - I CAN'T WAIT!

Serves 8 - 10

300g unsalted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
10 unsmoked streaky bacon rashers, chopped
450g chicken livers, trimmed of sinew and fat
2 tbsp brandy
1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves
crusty bread to serve

First clarify some butter.  Put 100g of the butter in a heavy based pan over a low heat until it has melted and the milk solids begin to sink at the bottom.  Set aside for a few minutes, then strain off the golden butter at the top and reserve.  Discard the solids.  In a separate pan, slowly melt the remaining butter.
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion for 5 mins until soft, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.  Add the bacon and chicken livers, then cook for 4-5 mins until browned but still soft.  For the last minute, add the brandy and bubble to reduce by half.  Spoon the mixture into a food processor bowl and blend until smooth.  Add the melted butter in a slow, steady stream.  Once it's incorporated, stir in the chopped tarragon and some seasoning.
Pass the pate through a sieve to make it even smoother, then spoon into a dish (or divide among ramekins for individual portions).  Smooth the top and pour over the clarified butter.  Leave to set for at least an hour in the fridge.  Serve with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment